Sunday 15 January 2017

Procrastination and dissertation

After completing my PGDip in the 90s I realised that I did not have anything to say in a dissertation.  The day the 5 year point passed and there was no way of progressing to MSc was a relief.  The following years I moved house repeatedly (following the husband) had children and kept what I had once called my career going as best I could. 

Emerging from the fog of the early years of mothering and with a little more stability on the home front I turned my attention to work again.  I was startled to find that ultrasound seemed to have stalled as a discipline, overtaken (not that it is a competition) by other sub specialities in radiography.  I wondered why.  I took on work outside my department, training and organising study days and getting involved with the Society of Radiographers.  I learned that there were departments where sonographers were leading services, extending and advancing their practice in ways which benefited their patients and brought professional satisfaction to themselves.  Unfortunately these departments appeared to me to be in the minority.  I wondered why and then realised that all these years after not doing my dissertation, I suddenly had not just something to say but a lot to say. 

What to do with it all?  Bore my colleagues and family to tears? Did that. 
What next? 
Do the MSc!

So now here I am, after the best part of two decades, doing the MSc.  And do I just settle down and  write? 

No.
Procrastination rules.
I have baked a lot of bread.
Made many English Muffins.
And rediscovered sock knitting.  And woken up this blog. 

I may just write the dissertation in between all these very attractive alternatives, just give me a minute while I clean the bathroom...

No comments:

Post a Comment